Monday, August 31, 2009

Steel cut oats




I have taken a summer-long hiatus from blogging and now that the school year has gotten off to its start, I have decided to try to make it part of my routine to blog again about home organizing and decorating. OK--so we all know how hard the morning routine can be. It is very new to me that my son has to be at the bus stop at 7am. Consequently, I have found that I must have everything ready the night before--lunches made, papers signed, book bag set out, and breakfast practically on the table. Here's a great idea given to me by one of my friends--steel cut oats made in the crockpot. There's hardly any mess, it takes less than a few minutes to prepare, and your kids can go to school with a stomach full of healthiness that will last them until lunchtime. So, here it goes: place a glass bowl that fits down into your crock pot. The glass bowl must leave a little room on the sides. In this glass bowl mix 1 cup of steel cut oats with four cups of water. Pour a little water around the edges of the glass bowl in the crock pot, put the top on the crock pot, turn on low before you go to bed. In the morning you will have enough oatmeal for four people or more. When I serve it, I like to mix it with a little bit of milk and brown sugar and whatever else I have--walnuts, fruit, apples, etc. It also very good mixed with about a tablespoon of apple butter. So good!

No comments: