Monday, March 15, 2010

Mealtime Monday: Shrimp Creole


One of the many highlights of living in the Lowcountry is our easy access to great seafood.  I am so happy that my kids love to eat it, and they don't really have a choice anyway.  They really like their shrimp just plain boiled or fried (I don't attempt this at home--too many places around here do it much better), but sometimes I love to make shrimp creole.  The following is my favorite recipe and it comes from the Perennials cookbook (from the Gainesville, GA Junior League).  I forgot to mention that half the fun of our shrimp meals is going to get the shrimp down at the docks.  One of my son's former preschool teachers is of the Magwood shrimping dynasty, so we like to support her.

Baba's Shrimp Creole: (serves 8)
1.5 cups chopped celery
1 large green pepper, chopped
4 T bacon drippings
1 bay leaf
2 (16 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
3 T tomato paste
1 T sugar
salt and peppa' to taste
1/8 t curry powder
Creole seasoned salt (optional)
2 1/2-3 lbs shrimp, boiled and peeled
cooked rice

Slowly cook celery, onion, and pepper in bacon drippings (use olive oil if you don't have this) til light brown (about 15 min).  Add bay leaf, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and mix well.  Add other seasonings and simmer for about 30 min.  Add shrimp and heat through--but do not overcook.  Serve over rice.

No comments: