Monday, February 1, 2010

Decorating with maps and globes

I love the idea of decorating with maps and globes.  My son has had a map of the United States above his bed since he was two.  He loves looking at all the states, pointing out where his friends were born, where relatives live, and where he has been.  I have been looking on EBAY for a vintage globe to put in his room not only because they make a colorful addition, but because of the conversations it can start.  He and I share a fascination for world geography.  A friend of mine's son, who is in fifth grade, received a globe for a Christmas present and she says he has to use it constantly for homework assignments.  This makes me think that I should get a "current" globe, but the vintage ones have lots more character.  Some people collect world globes and I've seen pictures in decorating magazines of them arranged together to make a colorful display as the one above which I found on the website lovelydesign.com.  The photo below is from one of my favorite blogs Chez Larsson (chezlarsson.com), and it was taken in the blogger's fifteen-year-old son's room, and the last photo is from my five-year-old's room.  The map I purchased for him is from the Land of Nod.

1 comment:

1 Funky Woman said...

Hi there! I just found your blog while looking up ways to decorate with Globes. I too love the idea. In fact I have about 8 of them that I have found at garage sales and the Goodwill. I just decided to incorporate them in my living room for something fun and playful. Not sure yet.

New follower now. I'd love for you to stop by!

Megan